Friday, 4 December 2009

South Africa 2010, Here We Come!

Never mind the Olympics, The Ashes, Wimbledon, the Football World cup is by far the greatest sporting show case on earth. It can make you as proud as punch one day, and as sick as a parrot the next. But that is the true beauty of it, there is no other thing on earth for a true football fan that means so much. Football, and in particular World Cups have the power to break down social barriers, in only the last World Cup in Germany 2006 we witnessed Germany being reinvigorated as a nation, and some final closure to what still was an East - West Germany divide.

National pride is at stake, cheering on your own country and in particular your own clubs players with more delight than the rest (although being an Arsenal fan, that is a very rare commodity these days to say the least) as well as giving a very reluctant cheer whenever a player you generally despise does something extraordinary (a fine example obviously being Mr. Cashley Cole). Then after a mistake, your fickle side comes out at its finest as you bleat something like "useless Chelsea mug" at the television.

The emotions us football fans go through over this month long tournament are unreal, and all a man during that month needs is a TV, a laptop, a lot of beer and some space(women take note). This "space" required far more after a bad result, or during a match in the all too common nerve clenching moments where everything seems to go in slow motion(once again women take note, DO NOT say "its just a game").

Having watched the World Cup draw today, several things were very clear to me. Firstly, Charlize Theron although a stunner, clearly went to the John Barnes school of TV presenting. Secondly the fact that you could almost feel her burning desire to get into our Beck's pants in the after show party (did you see the constant flirting? "are you sure you've got the right one?") Lastly, and most importantly for us, just how much of a great chance it would appear England now have in this World Cup, thanks to the wonderful draw we were given.
But for now, here is my summary, verdict, and predictions for the World Cup 2010:

Group A -
South Africa (hosts)
Mexico
Uruguay
France
I expect to see South Africa and France qualify out of this group. Why? South Africa being the host nation, and first African nation to host the World Cup are sure to be fired up and I expect them to qualify over nearest challanges Mexico, who always fail to produce on the big stage despite often holding a very impressive world ranking. I can see France coming in 2nd, as they are a very poorly managed team under Raymond Domenech (who I believe is only still in charge due to the French FA unable to afford his compensation fee's!), but in the end their class will show and they will escape the group and unto the knockout phase of the competition. I don't expect either team to challenge for the World Cup crown at the very end.



Group B -
Argentina
South Korea
Greece
Nigeria

Argentina and Nigeria to quality for me. South Korea will struggle big time, but the 2004 European Champions Greece will have a lot to say in the outcome of the top 2 qualification spaces. I do though expect Nigeria to see them off, their Premiership top level experience proving vital in big moments, with such players as Evertons Josepth Yobo, and Yakubu, former Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins, Portsmouth striker Kanu, and Chelsea's hard man Obi Mikel sure to be key players for them. Argentina, although again a very poor managed side under the hapless legend that is Diego Maradona, the utter class of players such as the latest Ballon D'or winner Leo Messi, Athletico Madrids young starlet Kun Aguero, and Real Madrid Front man Higuain coming good in when needed most.

Group C -
England
Slovenia
Algeria
USA
England surely comfortable favourites for this group due to their undoubted quality, fantastic recent form in qualifiers, and general strong performances in the group stages of World Cups. USA are the team tipped to be the biggest threat and qualify alongside England, but I'm inclined to disagree. America tend to get nowhere with their "soccer", as they lack the mental strength and I expect Slovenia to qualify with England. I see Slovenia as a typical Russian type team, hard working, well drilled, technically sound, the team in the group that has the potential to cause England some real problems. Let's not forget as well, this is a Slovenia team that knocke a very good Russia side out recently in the play-offs. Algeria are the only World Cup virgins, and I expect them to bring something new, and refreshing to this world cup. But I seriously can't see them being a real challenge as the defending of African teams, generally speaking is very poor and should cause little problems when the games died down about after the opening 20minutes against superior opposition. England to qualify as groud leaders without breaking a sweat (fingers crossed!).

Group D -
Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana
Hardly a "group of death", but certainly a highly competitive group. I expect to see Germay qualify comfortably (as they always do), with Serbia and Ghana fighting tooth and nail for the 2nd qualification place in the group. In the end however, I expect to see Serbia to triumph and qualify over of Africa's 2nd strongest representative. This largely due to the solid defense comprised of Manchester Uniteds rock Nemanja Vidic, Chelsea man Branislav Ivanovic, and Borussia Dortmunds giant defender Neven Subotic. All very old school style centre backs who will make it very difficult and physical for any opposition. This mixed in with the creativity of Inter's experienced playmaker Dejan Stankovic, CSKA's winger Milos Krasic who recently shined against Manchester United in the Champions League, as well as Manchester United youngster Zoran Tosic, and Stuttgarts Donnie Darko Kuzmanovic. I expect an Essien inspired Ghana to fight til the bitter end, but Serbia to come out ultimately on top. As for Australia, I personally don't see them putting up too much of a fight. Germany and Serbia to qualify.

Group E -
Holland
Denmark
Japan
Cameroon
Although I find it hard to see a Holland side without Arsenal's Inspirational forward Robin Van Persie being a real threat to the World Cup big boys, I none the less see them having the quality to comfortably quality from this group. Japan, without Hiddink and the inspiration of playing at home like they did in 2002 will struggle in the group and I can see them being seen as an easy 3 points by the other 3 sides. Once again, this group for me comes down to another Africa vs Europe battle for the final qualification spot out of the group, contested between Cameroon and Denmark. I foresee Cameroon having the edge in this one, with their key men being Arsenal's Alex Song who will shield the defence expertly, and ofcourse Inter Milan's hitman Samuel Eto'o who will look to provide the cutting edge in this powerful, hard working Cameroonian outfit. The Netherlands and Cameroon to qualify.



Group F -
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia
Yet another group where I see one side qualifying comfortably, whilst one struggles, and two fight it out for the remaining qualifying birth. Italy being the team to finish comfortably, with their experience and steely determination coming to the fore when required. New Zealand being the groups "whipping boys" and Slovakia and Paraguay being the two fighting it out. My tip to qualify out of those two would be Paraguay, who look to me like a very good team having seen them during qualifying several times. Slovakia will undoubtably be led by reported Chelsea target Marek Hamsik, but I just see Paraguay having the edge on them overall. So thats Paraguay and Italy to qualify out of this group. I don't see Italy as being one of the front runner in this World Cup unlike in recent years however, with their old legs, and lack of a real spark of creativity in the final third being their undoing.

Group G -
Brazil
North Korea
Ivory Coast
Portugal
The only group out of the lot that can be classed as the "group of death." However, even with that I can't foresee too many problems for the all time World Cup's most successful country, Brazil. They are a top quality team, and I am sure, as always will have a major say in the final outcome of the World Cup. North Korea I can't see causing too many problems for the top 3 in this group. So again, it is yet another African vs European battle for qualification, and this time I may suprise some people by actually going for the African side, the Ivory Coast. This is because I see them as the better equipped team overall, with Chelsea's powerhouse striker leading the line and causing no end of problems for the oppositions defence, supported by Barcelona's midfield Anchorman Yaya Toure bossing the midfield. As for Portugal, they are a team with undoubted quality, with a squad comprising of last years Ballon D'or winner Christiano Ronaldo, Chelsea playmaker Deco, and Real Madrids Brazillian born defender Pepe being the key players. The problem I see with Portugal is that their squad is very unbalanced, and poorly managed in my opinion by Ex-Manchester United Assistant Manager Carlos Quieroz. By this I mean they have a lot of attacking creativity and flair (Christiano Ronaldo, Deco, Simao, Nani, Moutinho, Meireless), yet they lack a quality striker to lead the line, and I can see their defence really being exposed and struggle to cope with the likes of Drogba, and Luis Fabiano. Along with that, Quieroz is yet to work out a settled side. Expect to see more Christiano Ronaldo tears, even before we enter the knock out phase of the competition. Ivory Coast and Brazil to qualify.

Group H -
Spain
Chile
Honduras
Switzerland

For me, this is probably the hardest group to call, simply because I know pretty much nothing about two of the teams in this Group (Chile and Honduras). We can safely say European Champions Spain will qualify comfortably out of this group, as for the rest, who knows? Switzerland have Senderos at the back so they have no chance, and the only thing I know about Honduras is that Wilson Palacios plays for them.

Overall, throughout all the world class talent there is sure to be on show at this highly anticipated World Cup Finals, I ultimately only see 4 teams who have a real good chance of winning the competition. This "big 4", if you like consists of Brazil and Germany, too very different teams in style, but two teams that are always there, or thereabouts come crunch time. Then England, who under Capello look a real force and I can really see being challengers in the later stages of this competition (aslong as it doesn't go down to penalties). Lastly, and no suprise my tip to win the whole thing, Spain. They are quite simply, a classy outfit who have an outstanding ammount of world class talent, and I expect them to thrill everyone who watches them, and ultimately walk away with the grand prize, the World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment